Almond Butter Tofu Bowl
Who needs meat when tofu can taste this good?
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serving size: 4
- 1 (14-oz.) block extra-firm tofu, drained
- ⅓ cup creamy almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. lower-sodium tamari (sub soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. VitaFiber IMO Syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 4 Tbsp. neutral cooking oil (vegetable, canola, or avocado), divided
- 1 medium head of broccoli, chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 bunch scallions
- Cooked jasmine rice or soba noodles for serving
- Slice tofu width-wise into 6 slices. Use a kitchen towel to gently press each slice to remove excess liquid; cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Prepare almond butter sauce by combining almond butter, tamari, lemon juice, VitaFiber, garlic, chili garlic sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and ¼ tsp salt in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 2 to 3 Tbsp warm water to reach desired consistency; set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Chop two-thirds of the scallions into 1-inch pieces (reserve remaining). Add to skillet, along with broccoli florets and ½ tsp salt. Toss vegetables with oil and cook, undisturbed, until broccoli is well charred on one side, about 4 minutes. Toss and continue cooking until broccoli is crisp-tender, about 2 more minutes. Transfer veggies to a bowl.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp. oil to pan. Add tofu and cook, undisturbed, until crisp and golden brown underneath, 3 to 4 minutes. Toss and continue cooking until crispy and golden on all sides, about 8 to 9 minutes total. Pour in half of almond butter sauce and toss continuously until sauce coats tofu and crispy browned bits form. Remove from heat.
- Top rice or noodles evenly with broccoli, scallions, and tofu. Drizzle remaining almond butter sauce overtop, and finely slice remaining green onions for garnish.