Lemon and Blueberry Keto Bars
- Crust: Melt the butter in the microwave or a small saucepan. Add the almond flour, 1/4 cup sweetener, and 1 tablespoon zest, stirring until fully combined. Press the dough evenly along the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9 x 9-inch square pan. For best results line the pan with parchment paper or foil first, then you can simply lift out the completed lemon bars. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 10 minutes. Remove and cool while you make the filling.
- Filling: In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup sweetener, gelatin (or arrowroot powder) and pinch of salt together. Whisk together. Add the whole eggs and yolks and mix thoroughly. Add the remaining lemon zest, lemon juice and mix until the powdered sweetener is dissolved.
- Pour the lemon mixture through a sieve or strainer onto crust – this removes the pulp and makes for a smooth custard. Then sprinkle blueberries evenly over lemon mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until the lemon custard is just cooked through. Allow the bars to cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares. Yes, you must be patient! I left mine in the refrigerator overnight and they cut to perfection.
- Top with more powdered confections sugar.
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup Vitafiber powdered sweetener, divided
- Zest of 3 lemons, divided
- 1 packet Knox gelatin (~1 tablespoon)
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large whole eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (~3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries