Pumpkin Butter Saag Chole
Tired of the same flavor palette for Indian food? Change it up with some pumpkin!
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20-30 mins
Serving size: 1
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions - diced
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger - peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 1tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt - to taste
- 1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 can pure pumpkin puree
- 2- 14.5 ounce cans chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 12-ounces fresh spinach - chopped small
- 3 tbsp Vitafiber IMO powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Cayenne pepper - to taste
- Black pepper - to taste
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro - roughly chopped, more to taste
- Heat a large sauté pan with 2 tbsp of oil. Add the diced onion and sauté 5-8 minutes until soft and starting to turn golden brown. While the onions are cooking, combine the spices- garam masala through sea salt- in a small dish, set aside. Add the crushed garlic and ginger to the onions, cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the spices and toss with the the onion mixture for 1-2 minutes to "toast the spices".
- Add the entire can of diced tomatoes with the juice, pumpkin, coconut milk, and drained chickpeas to the pan. Stir to evenly combine. If you're in a hurry, you can cook on high for 5-8 minutes, until the chickpeas are soft. If you have time, cook over low heat 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, chop the spinach into small pieces. Stir into the chickpeas, allowing to wilt after each addition if your pan is getting full! Add sweetener (if using). Again, can allow to simmer slowly for another 5-15 minutes to blend the flavors more, or continue to the next step.
- Stir in the lime juice, avocado oil, and cilantro. Add cayenne pepper, black pepper, and adjust sea salt to taste. Serve immediately alongside naan or over rice OR allow to simmer until you're ready to eat. This is a meal that gets better as it sits/simmers and the flavors have more time to mingle! Feel free to continue adding citrus, sweetener, and/or cilantro to flavor preference!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container to enjoy for later meals in the week!